This web log was created to keep you up to date with the athletic pursuits of Blake Boldon. It will be updated regularly with competition schedules, results, and photos.

Thursday, February 15, 2007

ISU Classic 3k Summary

Last Saturday I had some family and friends at the meet so I'd like to thank them for making the trip to Ames to watch me run. The race went according to plan and it was good to get a solid effort in to start 2007. Texas A & M sent a pacemaker to ensure a competitive effort from the start. I didn't catch the athlete's name, but he did a great job of getting out and setting a quick and even pace from the gun. While he was setting the pace I was back in the pack somewhere between 3rd and 6th. The pace felt fast but we were running about 65 seconds per 400 meters. The pacemaker stepped off the track right before 1200 meters and then Brad Lowery from Team USA Minnesota kept the pace up and the lead pack was narrowed to about a half dozen. I saw 4:03 for 1500 meters and I was about 4:19 for 1600. Shortly after that I moved to the lead and I set the pace from that point. Ben Gregory from Wisconsin Runner Track Club hung on to my shoulder until about 200 meters to go when he tried to make a move for the win. I responded but waited until about 100 meters to go to reclaim the lead. I went around him and cruised home for the win in a new personal best. My last 300 was under 45 seconds and over the last 80 meters I felt that I had another gear available if Ben was able to come back to me. While leading I felt under control and I was aware of what was going on around me. It was a good effort and a solid confidence booster as I continue to get ready for the outdoor season.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are SO proud of you! What a great race you had! The girls were amazed at your time too. They start track here shortly so if you are down anytime soon, let us know. Maybe a little practice with "big brother" Blake will give them a little motivation in the right direction! Good luck in Boston, we will be watching to see the results!

Peggy, Ryan and the girls

8:17 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home