This web log was created to keep you up to date with the athletic pursuits of Blake Boldon. It will be updated regularly with competition schedules, results, and photos.

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Drake Relays Results and the Story From LA to Ann Arbor...

After a long, strange two weeks I feel like I've got my running back on track for the spring. The condensed version is this: I went to Los Angeles on Easter weekend for a couple meets. I ran the 800 at Pomona Pitzer and got a new personal best in rainy and unideal conditions. With that effort and my recent 5k personal best I figured that I would be set for a solid performance in the mile the next night despite little specific preparation. The invitational mile at Mt. SAC was a disaster. I was never in the race and ran 4:07 by myself off the back of the pack. Afterwards there was a burning lump in my hamstring that made it hard to walk back to my shoes. I couldn't cool down and that obviously changed training for the next week. It was a tough weekend considering the result, my new found injury, and the fact that I missed Easter with my family. After feeling sorry for myself for about a week I was finally able to get a little quality in and decided to go ahead with the mile at Drake. It was windy and rainy and the stands were far more empty than the typical Drake sellout. A collegiate athlete took it out and we were roughly 61 for the first quarter mile. At the half mile we were 2:03 and the pace was slowing. Within the next 200 meters the pace slowed more and since I was near the front I spilled into the lead with a lap and a half to go. I lead threw the wind on the home stretch and even though the pack spread out I didn't shake everybody. I ended up third in 4:03.41, which is an outdoor personal best for the mile, despite the terrible conditions. After Drake my good friend, Mark Misch, presented me with an opportunity for a solid 1500 this Friday in Ann Arbor, Michigan. His friend, Nick Willis, will be setting the pace and he's giving me a place to stay and showing me some serious Kiwi hospitality. So here I am in Ann Arbor, preparing for a race tomorrow night here at the University of Michigan. Here's a link to the full results at Drake: http://drakerelays.com/06results/results/AllColResults.html Here's a link to some information about Friday's race, Len Paddock Invitational: http://www.nzrun.com/ (Check out the nickname...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home