This web log was created to keep you up to date with the athletic pursuits of Blake Boldon. It will be updated regularly with competition schedules, results, and photos.

Sunday, April 20, 2014

February 8 Blog Post, Lost but Found

On the eve of the Boston Marathon, I just found this blog entry that I intended to post back in February but planned to re-read and revise.  Here are the notes unedited...

February 8 Blog Entry

One month into my "return to running"

December was my time to get healthy and test the waters by running every day.
January was my chance to establish a regular running routine and start evaluating what might be possible in 2014.

Although, I haven't recaptured the fitness of my last go-round as a runner, I'd definitely consider the last six weeks a success.
First and most encouraging,  I've already lost ten pounds.  It seems strange to most people who know me in Indy that I'm hoping to lose weight.  Considering that I started the year 35 pounds heavier than my previous "racing weight", it seems natural that I'll shed a few pounds with even just a little exercise.  

I haven't crossed the threshold to setting specific goals in training or racing so for now my main goal is still creating a healthy training routine.  To that end I'm logging a few details about my training on a daily basis, something that I haven't done in five years.  
Also this month I've even picked up some of the books that I devoured in high school.  Reading these books has taken me back to a time when I was hungry to learn everything I could about distance running.  I just finished "The Long Road To Boston", which seemed like a fitting read while training for the race on 4/21.

My journey to Boston can't possibly match the drama of the book's but like the tens of thousands of others preparing for 2014 and the hundreds of thousands before us, it is sure to be a memorable experience.  Last month, I found out that I have been selected as a member of Team MR8.  The team was selected by the family of Martin Richard, the eight year old boy who lost his life in the attack at the 2013 Boston Marathon.  Team MR8 is raising funds for the Martin W. Richard

I've run over 40 miles each of the last two weeks and my body doesn't seem to be any worse for the wear.  Looking ahead to February, I see some structured workouts and quality long runs in my future...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home