This web log was created to keep you up to date with the athletic pursuits of Blake Boldon. It will be updated regularly with competition schedules, results, and photos.

Friday, December 09, 2005

Holiday Classic 3k

It's been an emotional 24 hours. I found out late last night that my alma mater is planning on eliminating the men's track and cross country teams. After a near sleepless night and some considerable debate about how to wear a shoe over the inflammation that's recently developed on the top of my foot, I decided to go ahead and run the 3k. Coach Ihmels graciously let me wear my old "Southwest Missouri" jersey as a tribute to my fallen comrades down in Springfield. Needless to say there was a lot on my mind and I owe an apology to Dan Taylor, a training partner and friend. We had planned on running 8:20 pace through 8 laps (2400 meters on our 300 meter track). We were going to alternate the lead every two laps and I volunteered to take the first two. Unfortunately, I messed it up big time and I was 7 or 8 seconds slow for the first two laps. Then Dan took his two laps and got a lot closer to the right pace, but we were probably about two more seconds slow through that 600 meters. Then I took two laps and then Dan took the lead again. My original plan was to run 8:20 pace through 2k and then go from there. So when we came up on the 2k mark I decided to stick to the original plan despite how slow we had been up to that point. I finished in 8:25.44 and Dan was 2nd in 8:32. Considering it was my third workout this week and the last two weeks have been over 90 miles I'm pretty happy with the effort (as long as I can get the inflammation out of my foot sometime soon.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home